Monday, July 6, 2009

Heavy

Do you ever peruse the blogs out there in blogland, reading back through pages of posts, trying to decide if this a blog that you want to add to your blog roll for all to see, just add to your own personal reading list, or simply skip right past? I do this all the time.

I love the little insight into the lives of others that blogs give me, but at the same time do recognize that I have a life of my own that I need to at least attempt to live to its fullest, which means I can't spend my life on my computer. Sad as it is, I sometimes agonize over these decisions, not wanting to miss out on some awesome posts out there. Those ones that just speak directly to you. Luckily, I didn't have to go far back in order to decide that chatting at the sky was a blog I needed to read each and every day.

You see, on June 5th this blogger posted about a different kind of heavy - the kind moms feel when they look at their kids and realize that not only do they need to help this little one survive to adulthood, but they need to act as a role model to that child, because kids, like no others, watch their every move. This scares me in a way I cannot describe.

I've just gotten (mostly) over the fear of royally screwing up by doing something or forgetting to do something that would result in physical harm to my little girl. But now, thinking much deeper to her mental, emotional and spiritual well-being, I realize that was the least of my worries. There are way bigger things out there that I need to stress over. And stressing is not something I'm good at.

My first ever post points out that I let things roll and don't worry about much of anything. That can be great in certain situations, but when you're trying to keep your kid from growing up to a be a deliquent it's probably not the best path to take. So how do I deal with this? How do I handle the weight of trying to raise up this kid to be someone that is a far better human being than I am when I'm limited by my own imperfections?

I just need to chat at the sky.



"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30

3 comments:

Regina said...

I feel a "different kind of heavy" too. Not motherhood heavy obviously...but heavy nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing this thought Katie. I needed the reminder today.

marie said...

You are a splendid momma! Charlotte will thrive living with you and Mark. Regular "chatting at the sky" is a good thing for you ~ and Charlotte too! Make it easier on yourself ~ focus on her spiritual well-being and the mental and emotional will fall into place.

Remember Proverbs 22:6 & Philippians 4:6

PS ~ No fear ~ I thought that Mandy was the one in charge of physical harm to Charlotte?! : )

emily freeman said...

What a compliment. I'm glad you are choosing to stick around and chat at the sky...at least for now. I love this post and I promise its not just because you talked about me! tee, hee. And? This blog design is A.Dorable.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP