Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SYTYCD: Top 14

Another jam-packed night, so let's get down to it:


Ashleigh & Jakob - Hip Hop: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Ashleigh did far better than I expected, and even perhaps outshined Jakob. Their styles were pretty different here (he was a little more hard-hitting than her), but they managed to stay together and look in unison anyway. The routine was well-choreographed, typical for Napoleon and Tabitha, and memorable. The pair of them held to their characters well and they'll definitely be safe.

Karen & Kevin - Broadway: Sheesh. Talk about boring! Both Karen and Kevin seemed really tentative and so this ended up looking pretty elementary. And the sad thing is, with different dancers it could have looked really spectacular. Kevin doesn't have fantastic technique and seemed to be concentrating more than just dancing and so looked very sloppy. Karen seemed to be really holding back as far as personality goes, though her technique was fine. This number isn't going to do them any favors.

Noelle & Russell - Foxtrot: So interesting that these two drew foxtrot again. Russell did really well the first time, so I was expecting a lot now that Noelle would be his partner. I wasn't disappointed! I like that these two seem generally happy just be dancing and they made this number look a lot more fun and energetic than I think most other dancers would have. Both had really lovely lines and did a great job engaging with each other. Quite unexpected that this partnership would be such a good one!

Channing & Victor - Jazz: Tyce is so crazy. I mean seriously. The man cracks me up. Who else would come up with this whole bird cage thing? I liked the number. I thought it was well-choreographed and interesting. But it didn't really engage me. I'm not sure exactly what it was that didn't grab me (maybe Adam was right when he said it was the song), but I have to believe it was the dancers because I think the dance itself was very attention-grabbing. The pair just seemed kind of eh to me. I have a feeling this one isn't going to go over as well with the voters as it did with the judges.

Kathryn & Legacy - Paso Doble: I love all things Cirque du Soleil, so this was destined to be a winner for me (the music was from Cirque's Ka in case you missed that). This may be the best Paso Doble I've seen on SYTYCD. These two danced just wonderfully together. Legacy was the macho, hard-hitting, tough guy he needed to be to pull this off. And Kathryn was just plain mesmerizing and played her character perfectly. And did anyone else get a strong Strictly Ballroom vibe from this?

Ellenore & Ryan - Contemporary: I wasn't expecting a lot from Ryan on this one, because, quite honestly, he often comes off as ballroom cheesy to me. But I think he did great. His technique was tiny bit lacking in some areas, but his personality in this piece made up for it. And Ellenore's been a favorite of mine from the get-go so I'm excited that the judges feel that she's shining in a way that America might feel that way now too. And kudos to Travis on the choreography. With Mia Michaels gone I think he may take over the top spot for them. At least for me.

Mollee & Nathan - Pop Jazz: Hmmm... I'm so torn on this. I think they danced it well. I think they were far more serious about their performance this week than last. But something just didn't do it for me here. I'm not sure if it's just because they come off as apathetic or disinterested or what. I almost wish these two were paired with others because I think if partnered with someone older, each would be pulled up out of the teenage style that they seem to have. I'm not a fan, but I'm sure America will keep them safe.

The Bottom: We'll see what America chooses, but my bottom three couples are Karen & Kevin, Channing & Victor and Mollee & Nathan. Based on growth (or lack thereof) alone, I think it's time for Karen and Kevin to head home.


So spill it... who are your favorites and who do you think should get the boot?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

THE RESULTS: I made great strides in redeeming myself this week, picking all three bottom couples correctly and predicting one of the two ousted dancers. Here's hoping for perfection next week! In retrospect, I'm not shocked that that judges opted to send home Channing over Karen since they seem to love her so much. I don't think she'll stick around very long though.

1 comments:

Jacqi said...

I was sad to see Channing go home. There is something about the stern/poised (or for me "stuck up") face that Karen makes all the time that I really hate. It's almost as if she is holding back all emotion - I mean, cry already - do something - the sultry only takes you so far - I'm pretty sure there aren't too many straight men watching the show. I agree it will be "GOODBYE" next week for her. I also think it would have been a travesty had Paula not declined the offer for top 20 spot and we missed out on Ashleigh. Ashleigh is far far better than Karen in my book.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP