Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Trivial Things

Yesterday night and the Tuesday prior some friends and I headed over to a local bar for trivia night. We've gone several times before, but a new season just started and we're doing our best to go as often as possible so we can play in the tournament that will be held in a couple months. We lucked out that yesterday was my dad's day off, so he came along too. It's always good to have more, shall we say, veteran (coughcougholdcough) members on your team. You know, to cover more areas and really expand your knowledge base.

We were super excited to have come in third out of seven teams (only a few points behind first and second place) and have a $10 gift card to show for it. We missed a pathetic eight questions though, so I thought I'd share a few of them here and find out how the masses would have answered them. I may not have the questions worded exactly right, but you can see them below. I'll be back Friday with the answers.

* (Category - TV) What 1980s sitcom, airing on NBC for eight seasons, moved the network from 3rd to 1st in the Nielson ratings?

* (Category - Greek Mythology) Pegasus, the winged horse, was created from the blood of what mortal? Hint: the mortal is one of the Gorgons.

* (Category - Games) What is it called in darts when a player hits a single, double and triple of the same number?

* (Category - TV) In the show Family Matters, what kind of car did Steve Urkel drive?

* (Category - Food & Beverage) What edible bud is traditionally found in Mediterranean cooking and is often used for people suffering from upset stomach or intestinal ailments?


And just so you have an idea of how we did earn our points, below are some questions we answered correctly. Would you have gotten them right?

* (Category - History) What California city was the final stop for the last ride of the Pony Express?

* (Category - Ads & Slogans) Hershey's chocolate often said, "Stir up a..." what?

* (Category - Famous Inventions) What time keeping device, invented in 1948 and considered the most accurate, runs on the vibrations of Cesium?

* (Category - Astronomy) On March 18, 2011 the Spaceship Messenger became the first spaceship to enter orbit around what planet?

* (Category - Science) What belt, held in place by the earth's magnetic field, is a source of damaging radiation to satellites?


P.S. Don't be afraid to take some guesses at the answers in the comments section. I will be the first to admit that my only contribution to this team is my penmanship - I'm the official scribe. I only knew the answer to one of the questions listed above. You're bound to fare better, or at least on par with me, so have at it.

P.P.S. Googling answers is not allowed, in my little mini session here or at the bar for the actual trivia night. Just sayin.


Photo Credit: Etherhill's flickr

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting, thanks

Jo said...

Wow, those are some questions. I don't even know the TV ones and I'm usually pretty good at those. That's cool that your dad could go with you. I hope you do well in your tournament when it starts.

marie said...

It's a good thing I'm the official babysitter ~ I would be no help with those questions!

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP