Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crib Spring Photo Solution

When I made my to do list back at the beginning of the month, one of the items included was to work on a way to showcase some of Charlotte's artwork and family photos. Whatever I decided to do needed to meet a few requirements. It needed to be made in such a way that it'd be easy to swap out one item for the other whenever I saw fit. I know myself. And I know that if it requires taking down a frame to swap out a photo I'll have the same photos up years from now. I also knew that it needed to be cheap. I am a tightwad, after all. Here's what I came up with:

One of the casualties of our basement flood last year was Charlotte's crib. The wood pieces all got pitched, but I wisely saved the spring since it wasn't damaged at all. A leftover crib spring plus a scrap of wood and some screws was about as cheap as you can get (ie. completely free), and with the addition of a few binder/bullnose clips (to be replaced when I come up with something cuter), it's easy to change out pieces. Hanging it was super simple. I just screwed a small piece of wood horizontally to the studs, then removed two of the actual coils so I could send a screw through the resulting hole into the wood I'd screwed onto the wall. Clear as mud, right?! Yeah, I know. But I promise you, it couldn't be easier. Then I just clipped up some favorite photos and artwork.

I'm so stoked that the spring fit into this spot. It wedges just perfectly between the bathroom door and my bedroom door. Seriously, there's only about 1/4 of an inch to spare. And best of all, Charlotte's really excited about it. It's fuller than what is pictured here because she's already found other drawings and paintings that she wanted to add to the mix. Love that!

I've never been one to hang photos of my family everywhere. For one thing, I don't have many (well, I have lots - just not printed out). But mainly because it feels weird. I don't know why since I like it in other people's homes. But this bulletin board of sorts just feels right. I love being greeted by it every time I head up the stairs!


Sources: La La Love You print - Sparkle Power, Let the Sun Shine In print - Slide Sideways, pants hanger - Ikea, paintings - courtesy of Charlotte, super cute girl in the photos - courtesy of me :)

5 comments:

marie said...

I love this....I'm so glad you've checked it off your "to do" list! You're so creative....you must get that from your dad!

Jo said...

That's awesome how it fits perfectly in that space. It looks like it was made to fit there. Love the pictures and art work and that she has already made some additions to it. It looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Well, we'll, go figure, you did a totally awesome job with this how perfect! Children love to hang up their special art. Love this! Pj

Tom said...

The things you mention are very useful, perhaps I have to do the same thing as you mentioned immediately
bassinet cheap.

John said...

Amazing collection for a baby I also bought a portable bassinet for my baby.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP